David + Courtney’s Romantically Hip yet Traditional Wedding at aVenue
Friday, July 30, 2010
Nashville really has a great selection of wedding venues. From the lush, pretty outdoors to the most chic venues - there's a perfect wedding location to suit any style of bride. Today's real wedding post features a romantic, urban wedding that combines nicely at aVenue. The loft-like space with its delicious hardwood floors and exposed brick walls provided a wonderful backdrop to Courtney and David's special day. They also had some of funnest fish favors I've ever seen.
Courtney + David
Date ~ May 1, 2010 (The Great Flood of Nashville) at 6pm
Ceremony + Reception ~ The aVenue – Downtown Nashville
Guests ~ 150
My wedding style?
My wedding style was hip and classic with hints of romance throughout the room. It is not hard to make this already beautiful wedding venue just exactly what any bride would want.
My colors and why I choose them?
My colors were raspberry and green with small bursts of orange. My attendants wore 2 different styles and colors of Bari Jay dresses. The bridesmaids wore green and matrons and maid of honor wore raspberry to coincide with their groomsmen/ringbearers with like alternating tuxes.
Fun and elegant – My theme was a very fun. My focus was on convenience and fun for our guests. There are so many weddings that I have been to where you have to travel from the wedding to the venue and I wanted to ensure that my guests were comfortable and were entertained.
Wedding wow factor?
Our guests loved the downtown location and the décor that was used was very original. We received a ton of compliments about how organized and detailed the wedding was as well as the food and drinks were fantastic.
Other than the goldfish that we gave to the children, we made a donation to the American Diabetes Foundation in honor of the groom.
Some of the personal touches that we added to the party were we had a gobo with our names reflecting onto the wall and we also made a video with our pictures growing up as well as some engagement photos looping on a big screen TV throughout the reception.
Gift for bridesmaids? Groomsmen?
The bride gave each bridesmaid an embroidered towel wrap and the groom gave the groomsmen engraved leather money clips and hot pink patterned socks that were worn under their tuxes to add a lot of color and make for some great pictures.
Most special moment for me?
Seeing my groom privately for the first time. My coordinator arranged for us to see each other before the wedding. David was waiting at the top of the stairs when I walked behind him and he saw me for the first time. There are no words for this moment and how special it was.
For the kids in my wedding?
We had goldfish that were in our table centerpieces we gave to the children in their own individual tanks along with care instructions and fish food.
My Wedding Vendors
- My planner – Laurie Hardman with Randi Events, who manage my venue, aVenue. She made this day so very perfect for me. She exudes professionalism and organization. Even despite the rain and flooding on this day, I had no clue the stresses she took on because of this….thank goodness.
- Cake – From Chef’s Market, was a small sugar free top cake surrounded by cupcakes that were strawberry, chocolate and vanilla decorated with white icing and orchids.
- Caterer – Chef’s Market. We had so many complements on the food for our reception. We had passed appetizers of mini mozzarella and tomatoes, mini bites of tomato, avocado and corn. For dinner we had a buffet style heavy appetizers with mini cheeseburger sliders with all the fixings, a sweet potato and mashed potato bar, Fajita bar served with chips and queso and pecan crusted chicken tenders.
- Photographer – Rich Kalonick (richkphoto.com) – Rich was the best. He was fun, laid back and got the job done to perfection. Despite the rain, he made all of our shots inside beautiful and entertaining. He also had a photo booth set up that our guests really enjoyed. Rich also did our engagement photos and he has such a fantastic eye for what will and will not look good.
- Video – Rich Kalonick
- Invitations – Designs in Paper, Donette did an amazing job on not only my beautiful and original wedding invitations, she also did my Invitations to my rehearsal dinner and bridesmaids luncheon. She can cater to any type of design and adds a perfect artsy flair to everything. She made the headache of invitations completely seamless.
- Dresses – Bari Jay for the bridesmaids and Anjolique for the bride. The bridesmaids wore Hunter Green and matrons and maid of honor wore Raspberry to coincide with their groomsmen/ring bearers with like alternating tuxes.
- Rings – We purchased both of our rings at Zales jewelers. The brides ring is a round cut diamond in a antique style setting in white gold and the grooms is tungsten.
- Music – Our DJ Mark Malatesta out of Memphis (jordabella.com). Mark has very competitive pricing and made our party fun and kept the crowd going and dancing throughout the entire party. He also did our wedding music and made all the announcement and followed a timeline given by the coordinator.
I would most of all highly recommend Randi Event Design team (randilesnick.com). They made my day so very special and seamless. They have the most skilled professionals as well as connections with the best and decoration and catering ideas. They also have a number of venues that they can hold any event at that are stylish and chic through Nashville Event Space.
What I would do differently if planning again?
There is honestly not one thing that I would have changed about my day. The planning went perfectly and I got exactly what I wanted in every way.
Biggest waste of time/money?
My biggest waste of time and money was the parting gift of bubbles. We found these really cute cowboy boots that had bubbles in them and tied ribbons on them with a really cute saying on them. You couldn’t really see the bubbles in pictures at all.
The best value for the service/product?
My photographer was the best service for the amazing pictures that we got back. He caught so many wonderful memories in pictures for us.
My neatest find was my invitation person. They really were able to design exactly what I was looking for, for the price that was comparable to what I wanted to pay. They went beyond that and gave me professional and personal service with each and everything that I ordered.
This last picture really captures Courtney's vision for utter romance at a hip, modern venue. All the best to the happy couple!
Photos courtesy of Nashville Event Space and Rich Kalonick Photography